Rotenboden-Riffelberg (Nr. 113)
The winter views here are some of the finest in the Zermatt region. The trail leads below the shady Riffelhorn and back into dazzling sunshine, revealing a breathtaking vista culminating in the Gornergrat. A fairy-tale adventure with views that seem to go on for ever.
- Type Winter hiking
- Difficulty easy
- Duration 1,00 h
- Distance 2,3 km
- Ascent 7 m
- Descent 240 m
- Lowest point 2576 m
- Highest point 2816 m
Rotenboden - Riffelsee - Riffelberg
(Hiking time in reverse direction: approx. 1h 30)
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Warm winter clothing appropriate for the weather
Take a ride right up to the top on the Gornergrat Bahn, where you can marvel at the view of 29 four-thousanders and a breathtaking panorama of glaciers and mountains before heading back to Rotenboden.
- Plan every mountain tour carefully and adapt to participants’ fitness level as well as the weather and season.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In uncertain weather, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of planned route, and whenever possible avoid going alone.
- Do not leave the marked routes; do not venture onto glaciers without a mountain guide.
- It is forbidden to walk on the ski pistes.
- Please be considerate to other walkers and to plants and animals.
Tip: “Be searchable”. Equip yourself with an additional RECCO rescue reflector*. Whether summer or winter. Available in our Online-Shop or our information desk.
*The additional reflector does not replace an avalanche beacon.